What is the coronavirus?
The coronavirus is shaped like a crown and is from a family of viruses that have been known since 1960 that causes respiratory infections in humans and animals. Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (Mers) are also generated by the coronavirus. In December 2019, a new outbreak of the disease was discovered, being named as Covid-19.
How does transmission occur?
Transmission can occur in three ways:
- Through respiratory tracts by air, droplets of sneezing and saliva;
- By physical contacts, such as kisses, hugs, and handshake;
- By contact with contaminated surfaces, such as handrail, elevator buttons, door handle.
What are the symptoms?
The most common symptoms are dry cough, fever and breathing difficulties. However, some patients may also experience body aches, nasal congestion, sore throat and/or diarrhea.
In patients who already have a disease (diabetes, hypertension, cardiovascular disease), other symptoms may arise, such as acute respiratory syndrome and kidney failure.
How to prevent it?
- Wash your hands with soap and water or gel alcohol, but never use only water;
- Wash your hands up to your wrist and between your fingers for at least 20 seconds;
- Avoid touching mucous membranes of the eyes, nose, and mouth, even if your hands are sanitized;
- Clean the environment regularly and keep it ventilated;
- Surfaces must also be cleaned, such as handrails and door handles;
- Avoid sharing personal objects, such as cutlery, glass, and towel;
Is Coronavirus Curable?
According to the World Health Organization, there is still no cure or defined treatment. Only the so-called “spontaneous cure”, when the body itself reacts to the infection.
Is there already a vaccine for prevention?
There is still no vaccine, but some countries, such as Russia, China, and the United States, are already advancing in their research and analysis in search of a vaccine against coronavirus and the first tests are expected to start within two months.
Is it possible to be infected more than once?
A case of reinfection in Japan has been reported, but scientists have not yet confirmed whether this possibility exists. The existing information says that most likely it is that after infection most people create immunity against the coronavirus.
How is the treatment done?
There is still no specific treatment to cure Covid-19, only treatment to relieve symptoms. The Ministry of Health indicates rest, consumption of plenty of water and medicines for pain and fever.
Can orders from China contain the virus?
According to the WHO, the likelihood of a person becoming infected through goods is very small, as the virus would not resist movement and different temperature or environment conditions during a trip.
Do you have any symptoms? Check here what you should do.
The ideal is to avoid leaving your house, circulating in closed places with many people and little ventilation, in addition to maintaining a minimum distance of 1 meter from anyone. Remembering that in 80% of the cases the symptoms of the coronavirus are mild and similar to the flu.